Opiate overdose deaths are increasing in the US and worldwide particularly with the increased availability of fentanyl and other synthetic opioids. A 30 percent annual increase to 100,000 opioid overdose deaths occurred in the US from May 2020 to April 2021.
1 million US patients/yr receive outpatient treatment for opioid use disorder. Our site provides telemedical solutions for the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of opioid use disorder.
Neuro-metabolic theory for Opioid Use Disorder
Prevention of Opioid Use Disorder
Prevention can be accomplished by risk analysis looking at :
- presence of one DSM-5 criteria for opioid use disorder.
- psychogenetic risk factors
- intestinal microbiome biomarkers – lower fecal bacteria biodiversity, specific microbial species and their metabolites
- metabolic biomarkers
- psycho-social-economic risks factors
- opioid availability and/or prevalence of OUD .
- prior history of magic mushroom/Psilocybin use
Diagnosis and treatment of opioid use disorder
Opioid addiction therapy includes :
Literature and Related Sites